When it comes to treating your hair and skin, salt is great in a pinch!
What is salt?
Salt is a natural mineral that forms crystals of different sizes and colours depending on how it’s processed and where it comes from. It is much present in the sea (or saltwater lakes) and can be obtained by evaporating the water. It can also be found as a rock in the ground and mined.
What are the benefits of salt?
- As an exfoliator, salt crystals scrub away dead skin cells and leave the skin refreshed and bright.
- It cleanses the skin, not only with exfoliation but its antimicrobial properties, too.
- Its astringent effect helps to mattify the skin and slightly tighten pores.
- It gives volume to the hair- a bit like when you have a swim in the sea or even just a walk along the beach!
- It can serve as a natural preservative and help keep our product blends fresher for longer when used in appropriate quantities.
What are the specific benefits of sea salt?
Sea salt is less processed than conventional table salt and therefore remains full of moisture and the many different minerals and elements from the area where it is harvested. For this reason, it must be tested regularly to ensure that it hasn't been contaminated with pollutants.
The moisture content of sea salt can be a blessing in a cosmetic product, but also a curse. For instance, it is far too wet for dry, solid products. That's why the types of salt we purchase can vary, as each will have its own specificity and benefits for the formula.
Finally, salt marshes, whether near the coast or on the side of a lake, are generally used by birds as a resting and even nesting place on their migration path. Most of the sea salt suppliers that Lush purchases from have conservation and biodiversity programs in place and are doing a lot to protect their environment.
Where does Lush source salts?
We have as many suppliers for different types of salt. Fine, coarse, extra-large, hand-harvested, pearl-like, coloured… We love to put a bit of salt here, there and everywhere. To find out more about each of them, browse your Lush product’s list of ingredients and click on the ones you are interested in. This should take you to a page full of details!