Ingredient / Inhaltsstoff
Sweet and zesty grapefruit takes you and your skin to paradise!
What is grapefruit?
Grapefruit (Citrus x paradisi) is a hybrid between an orange and a pomelo that is native to the Caribbean island of Barbados. There are many varieties with different skin and pulp colours, the best known to consumers being pink and red grapefruits as they have the sweetest taste.
At Lush, we use fresh pink and white grapefruit depending on our product inventors’ wishes but also availability on the food market. The essential oil is made from white grapefruit only; a variety with a yellow pulp that is a favourite in the juice and perfume industries.
What are the benefits of fresh grapefruits?
- They are bursting with salicylic acid, a natural fruit acid that exfoliates and clears the skin and scalp.
- The sweet and zesty aroma of their fresh juice lifts the spirits! It is said to remind us of the sun’s energy and can help perk up a dull morning.
- Their high vitamin C content helps to firm, smooth and brighten the skin.
What are the benefits of white grapefruit oil?
- The oil has a sparkly, joyful scent.
- It gives shine to the hair.
- It has antiseptic, astringent and mattifying properties on the skin and scalp.
Did you know?
Grapefruit’s sweet and citrusy aroma is about 90% limonene, an aromatic antioxidant with anti-inflammatory properties. This is why the oil is thought to have skin-firming properties. It really is a terrific fruit!
Where does Lush source grapefruits?
Finding a good, direct source for grapefruit oil has been a challenge over the years as the white grapefruit variety is often overshadowed by food industry trends, which can influence the quality and availability of the oil. Fortunately, after some research, Lush buyers found an essential oil processing company in the USA that can meet our production needs.
The fresh grapefruits are purchased from specialist distributors. Depending on the time of year, they source products from different countries to try and achieve availability all year round. They work hard to supply as much organic product as possible and provide the highest quality available the rest of the time.