Looking for a refresh? Put a spring in your step with lemongrass’ bright and cheerful fragrance.
Where do we get it?
Lush purchases lemongrass oil from Indian sources. Our main supplier works with smallholder farmers of the Odisha and Andhra Pradesh regions in southwest India. They try to preserve their traditions and a good balance of ecosystems through their agricultural practices.
Lemongrass is grown with minimal soil disturbance. Once cut, the leafy stalks are piled up and dried in the sun, then undergo a first steam distillation. This takes place in the fields thanks to a travelling machine. Following a circular pattern, the distilled blades (so called because of the leaves sharp edges) are dried and reused to fuel further distillation.
A second distillation occurs at the final production facilities in Cochin (southeast India) for refining and standardisation. Having a two-step distillation process may sound unnecessary, but it actually improves quality and helps avoid the logistics, costs and carbon footprint of transporting large quantities of raw lemongrass across the country.
What are the benefits of lemongrass oil?
- Lemongrass’ sweet and herbal scent sharpens and highlights all the other oils in a perfume.
- It is said to have antidepressant properties when inhaled.
- It is often recommended to relieve headaches and sore muscles.
- Its refreshing fragrance, combined with antifungal and antiseptic properties, makes the oil excellent for use in deodorants and dental care.
- It can be used as a toner for the skin.
The scent of lemongrass is often reminiscent of summer nights, as the plant and its oil are traditionally used as a natural, non-toxic mosquito repellent.