How to give a back and shoulder massage
Looking to elevate your massage-giving game? Have a favourite massage bar but need some tips on how to improve your massage technique? Look no further... the expert therapists at Lush Spa have five tips for the perfect back and shoulder massage.
1. The first step to create a really relaxing massage is the environment. Make sure your room is warm and without distractions. Turn off your phone, your laptop and just focus on your massage partner. Light some candles, set the mood.
2. Grab your favourite massage bar and warm between your palms to melt the oils and butters until your hands are slick with oil. Sweep the massage bar across the shoulders until you can comfortably glide your hands across the skin.
3. Take your time to slowly ease into the shoulders and neck. Use both hands to sweep up the back and around the shoulders to create warmth and flow. This technique is called effleurage and will warm the skin tissue and muscles effectively.
4. Placing one hand on top of the other, use a figure of eight movement around the lower back to ease tension and bring fresh blood into the muscles. If your partner has any lower back issues, like sciatica, then you can take pressure off the lower back by placing a towel under the tummy to lift your partner slightly.
5. Work up the neck, onto the head with your fingers and use gentle shampooing-like motions on the scalp. Ease their troubles and help them to switch off.
Enjoy this taste of luxury? The Lush Spa offers a range of transformative treatments to suit every mood.