Organic Lavender Oil
The iconic scent of the lavender flower helps you feel calm and serene.
Where do we get it?
This oil is obtained from the flowering tops of the Lavandula angustifolia by a process called steam distillation. Lush purchases it from a Bulgarian producer with an organic certification.
Beyond organic, there’s regeneration
Under the warm Bulgarian sun, our supplier grows lavender with regeneration in mind and heart, improving the biodiversity of their land and the health of their soil. Here are some examples of the practices implemented in the fields:
- Tillage has been kept to a minimum, allowing plant roots to develop and maintaining healthy living organisms in the soil.
- They are experimenting with agroforestry methods, planting trees like walnut and acacia in the fields to try and protect crops and animals from the elements.
- Large beds of meadow are maintained between the lavender rows. Thus covered, the soil is protected from wind and water erosion. It also creates a good environment for pollinators.
- Compost is produced on-site and scattered between the lavender rows every so often to promote the ground cover.
Not only in the fields, but regenerative principles also govern the distillery's organisation. For example, a multistage water stewardship system has been implemented. It allows for the capture and reuse of water from the distillation process. After being steamed, the raw materials are gathered and pressed to recover the water they absorbed. Thanks to this system, only 10% new water is added to each distillation cycle (and the processed lavender goes to compost!).
What are the benefits of lavender oil?
- Has a beautiful floral fragrance.
- Cleanses the skin with its antimicrobial properties.
- Balances sebum production.
- Soothes the skin and scalp.
- Relaxes sore muscles.
If you’re struggling with sleepless nights then lavender is also a great ally to have when trying to switch off before bed. Its flowers are filled with linalool, a substance known for its sedative effects on the nervous system, quieting the mind and promoting restful sleep.