The best thing you could bring to a desert island? A coconut tree.
Coconuts, coconuts everywhere!
The coconut palm (Cocos nucifera) is thought to be native to the warm climates of Polynesia, Malaysia and southern Asia. The trees bloom and bear fruit throughout the year, growing a new flower spike nearly every month. This then becomes a cluster of six to twelve fruits. Coconuts are the seeds of these fruits, the largest seed known to the world!
'Kalpavriksha', the Sanskrit name for the coconut, means 'tree which gives all that is necessary for living' and, indeed, the possibilities seem endless. In Lush products alone, you can find the water, the flesh and the shell of its seed, as well as the nectar of its flower. We can even use the fibres of its fruits to make some of the wrapping papers!
A few of the many benefits of coconut-derived products
- The oil is soothing, moisturising and emollient to the skin. It is also conditioning and protective to the hair.
- Yoghurt, milk and cream are full of fats and have similar effects to the oil, with the bonus of a lovely tropical scent!
- The wax coats and protects the skin and gives our products a nice, firm texture.
- Desiccated coconut makes a gentle exfoliator that releases a soft, moisturising milk when mixed with water.
- The ground shells make a strong scrub.
Where does Lush source coconut?
Each coconut-derived ingredient we use has its specific benefits and suppliers. To find out more, browse your Lush product’s list of ingredients and click on the ones you are interested in. This should take you to a page full of details!